Equitable AI activating opportunities
Many public health issues often involve complex combinations of individual, environmental, socio-cultural and political influences that are difficult to measure and evaluate using traditional approaches. Artificial intelligence (AI) approaches like machine learning provide new opportunities for public health to both advance health equity through the analysis of complex, multi-layered, multi-modal data, as well as design impactful solutions that draw on a far wider range of insights.
In our Equitable AI Initiative, IPPH is striving to build the capacity necessary in the population and public health research community to take advantage of emerging AI approaches. In order to achieve this goal, our efforts are focused on supporting researchers through opportunities that facilitate interdisciplinary partnerships and developing training initiatives that will equip the next generation of researchers with the necessary tools.
As the CIHR institute that champions equity and focuses on population-level outcomes, we recognize the importance of ensuring equity is built into AI research from the start and have emphasized this need by naming our initiative “Equitable AI”. Only through prioritizing equity can we ensure health solutions benefit everyone.
|Funding||Catalyze new research areas at the intersection of AI and public health||Seeding interdisciplinary collaborations among AI and public health researchers, especially on the ethical, legal and social challenges of AI|
|Training||Build capacity to use AI approaches in public health research||Launching a national summer school for graduate students and early career researchers to learn AI skills and apply them to public health challenges|
|Knowledge Translation||Nurture dialogue about the use of AI in public health decision-making||Starting discussions on the benefits, challenges and opportunities of applying evidence generated by AI to policies, practices and programs|
Initiative activities and opportunities
- Planning Grant: Women Deliver 2019 – launched August 2019. View funding opportunity.
- TOPHC presentation: Here for Good - Using AI to promote public health for a healthier more equitable future – March 2019. Watch the presentation.
- Operating Grant: CIHR Summer Institute on Equitable AI for Public Health – launched February 2019. View funding opportunity, view the webinar.
- Planning Grant: Equitable Artificial Intelligence for Public Health – launched January 2019. View funding opportunity, View funding decisions.
- IPPH-CIFAR Joint Workshop: Artificial Intelligence for Public Health Equity – January 2019. Read the report.
- Fellowship: Health System Impact Fellowship – launched December 2018. View funding opportunity.
- Planning Grant: Ethical, Social and Political Challenges of Using Artificial Intelligence in Health – launched August 2018. View funding opportunity, View funding decisions.
- CPHA Collaborator Panel Session: Exploring the Ethics of AI Approaches in Public Health – May 2018. Read the report summary.
- Collaborative Health Research Projects (CHRP) with a Special Call: Artificial Intelligence, Health and Society – launched April 2018. View funding opportunity, View funding decisions.
- IPPH-CIFAR Joint Workshop: Application of Artificial Intelligence Approaches to Tackle Public Health Challenges – January 2018. Read the report.
- Planning Grant: Artificial Intelligence in Population Health – launched October 2017. View funding opportunity, View funding decisions.
- CIFAR, Wellcome Trust
- Date modified: